Springfield Healthcare is proud to be working closely with Nurturing Innovation in Care Home Excellence in Leeds (NICHE-Leeds) – a partnership between care homes and academia. The partnership brings the leadership, expertise, and interdisciplinary working needed to deliver efficient, effective and sustainable improvements in care homes. This is based on a model used in the Netherlands, which has a 20 year track record of success and impact.
Our Overall Aim
To enhance quality of care by working in partnership on topics that matter to people living or working in care homes.
How Will We Do This?
Establish active and meaningful partnership working between care homes and academia – this is at the heart of NICHE Leeds. We work together in the following ways:
- Researchers embed themselves in the care home environment, visit regularly, and develop relationships with staff.
- Speak and listen to staff, residents, and relatives about what matters most to them.
- Prioritise the most important topic, and together develop a focused research question.
- Search for high quality evidence which addresses the care home’s question.
- Summarise evidence into everyday language and work with the care home to implement the evidence into the day to day care home practice.
- When evidence is missing the care home and the researchers work together to generate evidence through competitively funded research.
Why Are We Doing This?
Innovating in care homes can be difficult, and making sense of research, and implementing evidence-based solutions requires leadership, expertise and interdisciplinary collaboration between care homes and academia. NICHE-Leeds offers this collaboration, and helps care homes enhance care by implementing innovations based on sound research evidence.
What Are We Doing?
Seacroft Grange are working with NICHE-Leeds to provide evidence based solutions around providing more meaningful social interactions with residents living with dementia to promote well-being. We’re then looking to implement these in the care home. By working together we can achieve more – it’s that simple
NICHE Leeds started in September 2018, and is an ongoing programme of work.